Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Meatball Sandwiches

My Original Recipe
Blake HATES meatloaf, but I love it. I figured why not just change the shape and put it on french bread...he'll never know the difference! I was right...he LOVED IT! I used my mom's meatloaf recipe as a base recipe and changed it up a bunch.
Ingredients:

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/3 onion (diced)
2 slices whole wheat bread (torn into pieces)
2 eggs (beaten)
2 tbsp skim milk (might delete next time)
1 green onion (sliced)
8 oz can tomato sauce
3 tbsp ketsup
salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram
French Bread
Bottled Marinara Sauce
Fresh Mozzerella

Homemade Sauce:

8 oz can tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram

Combine all ingredients(except cheese & marinara) into a bowl and mix up. Because I wasn't following a recipe, I didn't really know what I was doing. It seemed a little too mushy when I shaped them into balls, but they tasted really moist and yummy. It made about 24 medium sized meatballs that I put in a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam. Mix up and pour about 1/2 the homemade sauce over the meatballs and bake at 350 for about an hour. 1/2 way through, I turned them over in the pan and when there was about 10 minutes left I poured the rest of the homemade sauce on the top. Cut a 6" piece of bread, then cut in half and then slice open. Put a few meatballs in and cover with bottled marinara sauce and top with cheese. Melt the cheese in the broiler and enjoy!

No comments: